I get so many questions about wearing contact lenses, so I thought I’d run through some of the most common questions I get.
- Can you feel the lens in your eye? If your lens fits properly they should fit comfortably on your eyes. I only ever feel slight irritation if I’m dehydrated or have worn them for a longer time than recommended.
- How to you know the lens is the right way around? The lens should be a perfect half circle. If the lens has a lip, it’s the wrong way around.
- Does it feel strange touching your eyeball with your finger? Well no, I don’t actually touch my eyeball as the lens is between my finger and eyeball. It’s really comfortable putting the lens in.
- Do you get scared you may lose the lens in your eye? No, It actually can’t go anywhere. If it does decide to move from your iris then it’s usually due to you rubbing your eye, which you’d want to avoid doing anyway because you can damage the lens as well as your actual eye. Mine have moved on occasions but the lens will end up falling out so I blink and let it drop into my hand.
- What if a lens falls out when you are out? So far this has never happened to me. You can always pop your glasses or a spare pair into your handbag just in case.
- Is it difficult to remove lenses? When I first wore lens I did find it a little tricky, but once you find a technique its so quick and easy. The important thing is to take your time. Your eyes are really delicate so you need to be careful and gentle.
- Can you put in/remove lenses with false nails? Yes, of course. Again you just need to take your time. When I have long nails I just position the lens on a slightly different area of my finger so I avoid my nail poking me. Remember it’s really important to wash your hands before touching your lenses or your eyes.
- What if it breaks in your eye? This has only happened to me once. It just fell out like I explained if your lens moves in your eye. Just pop in a new lens.
I’ve been wearing lenses for about 16 years now and I’ve got on absolutely fine with them. If you have thought about getting them instead of wearing glasses, speak to your local Opticians, as most will give you a free trial and show you how to put them in, take them out and how to care for your lenses.
Tip: Make sure if you are handling Chilies, make sure you wash your hands VERY well after. Chili Peppers and eyeballs do not mix! Also, did you know that wearing contact lenses whilst chopping onions actually prevents you from crying?
Hope this post was helpful.